Amidst coverage in the Derby Telegraph of a protest in Derby against President Donald Trump’s ‘Muslim ban,’ organised by Stand Up to Racism, is an account of an alleged incident of racist abuse recently experienced by one protestor.
The protest was staged on the steps of Council House in Derby City Centre on Monday and brought together local faith leaders and residents.
Among those who spoke to the local paper was a retired hairdresser, Ziya Mehmet, who gave an account of an incident of alleged racist abuse he suffered two weeks previously following a spat about parking.
Mr Mehmet told the local paper: “Someone starting hurling abuse at me and said ‘you don’t even come from this country’. He was in his 40s and he had a young child. I’m very social and talk to everyone but when someone speaks to you like that you have a bit of a shock. I came here when I was 19 and my dad was in the British Army.”
It is not clear if Mr Mehmet reported the incident to the police.